Today, The City of Calgary mailed approximately 482,000 Property and Business 2012 Assessment Notices and commenced the Assessment 2012 Customer Review Period, which runs from January 03 to March 05, 2012. The 2012 Property Assessment values are based on a July 01, 2011 market valuation date and December 31, 2011 physical condition date as legislated by the Province of Alberta through the Municipal Government Act (MGA). The 2012 Business Assessment values are based on the July 01, 2011 typical net annual rental value of business premises. The assessed values, which are used as the basis for determining property and business taxes, are prepared annually by The City of Calgary. “Preparing assessments on an annual basis ensures property and business owners’ assessments maintain currency with changing market conditions and experience more stability in year to year property and business tax levels,” explains Stuart Dalgleish, Calgary’s City Assessor. “The market establishes the value of properties and businesses in Calgary; we simply measure that market value as of July 01 each year prior to the taxation year.” The 2012 Customer Review Period provides customers with the opportunity to review and ensure the accuracy of their 2012 Assessment and learn more about Calgary’s assessment process. In conjunction with the 2012 Assessment Notice mailing on January 03, 2012, The City of Calgary’s Assessment business unit is launching its redesigned Assessment Search website at calgary.ca/assessmentsearch, which will offer new and expanded online services to customers, within a Helpful, Convenient, Secure theme. “One of the changes to calgary.ca/assessmentsearch will be the introduction of a new secure login service for property owners, similar to the service introduced for business owners earlier in 2011. This secure service represents the start of property owners being able to access private assessment information about their own properties online, and includes improved search features, as well as new account management services. To continue to respond to the existing public demand for online assessment information, a public access feature will provide any members of the public with map and tabular based information for property locations and property assessment values. In addition to bringing about improvements for 2012, this new platform enables the Assessment business unit to offer more information and assessment services online in the future, and supports our effectiveness and efficiency endeavours,” explains Dalgleish. Enabling our new secure login service is The City’s new myID online account technology developed by the Information Technology business unit. myID is an online account service that allows citizens and businesses to securely access City services with a single login. Calgarians have asked for more City services to be available online and myID aims to provide, over time, a single point of access for citizens and businesses to connect with City of Calgary services. Assessment information is the first service to fully link to the myID online account service platform for citizens and businesses, with other City online services linking to myID accounts in the future. If customers still have questions after reviewing their assessment, they can call the Assessment business unit at 403-268-2888 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 403-268-2888 end_of_the_skype_highlighting during the 2012 Customer Review Period to have their inquiries answered over the phone or, if necessary, to book an appointment with an assessor.
THE CITY OF CALGARY 2012 PROPERTY AND BUSINESS ASSESSMENT ROLLS
2012 Property Assessment Roll:
- Based on the market value of property as of July 01, 2011.
- Total number of accounts on the 2012 Property Assessment Roll is 456,000.
- Total value of the 2012 Property Assessment Roll is 232 billion.
- As a result of the 2012 Assessment, the typical market value residential property assessment change is -3% between 2011 and 2012.
- This year, approximately 93% of residential properties’ revenue neutral taxes will be within ± 10% of last year’s taxes.
- 62% of residential properties will see a revenue neutral tax decrease due to the 2012 assessment.
- 38% of residential properties will see a revenue neutral tax increase due to the 2012 assessment.
- 2012 median single residential assessment (excluding condominiums) is 400,000 compared to 410,000 in 2011.
- 2012 median residential condominium assessment is 240,000 compared to 250,000 in 2011.
- As a result of the 2012 assessment, the typical market value non-residential property assessment change is 2% between 2011 and 2012.
- This year, approximately 60% of non-residential properties’ revenue neutral taxes will be within ±10% of last year’s taxes.
- 63% of non-residential properties will see a revenue neutral tax decrease.
- 37% of non-residential properties will see a revenue neutral tax increase.
- Changes to the real estate market after July 01, 2011 will be reflected in values prepared for the 2013 Property Assessment Roll.
- 2012 Business Assessment Roll:
- Based on the typical net annual rental value of business premises as of July 01, 2011.
- Total number of accounts on the 2012 Business Assessment Roll is 26,100.
- Total value of the 2012 Business Assessment Roll is 2.7 billion.
- As a result of the 2012 assessment, the typical net annual rental value business assessment change is -3% between 2011 and 2012.
- This year, approximately 49% of businesses’ revenue neutral taxes will be within ± 10% of last year’s taxes.
- 35% of businesses will see a revenue neutral tax decrease.
- 65% of businesses will see a revenue neutral tax increase
- Changes to the typical net annual rental market after July 01, 2011 will be reflected in values prepared for the 2013 Business Assessment Roll.
THE CITY OF CALGARY 2012 PROPERTY AND BUSINESS ASSESSMENT ROLLS
KEY DATES AND ACTIVITIES
DATE KEY ACTIVITIES
2011 July 01 Valuation date for 2012 Property and Business Assessment Rolls
2011 October 03 – 2011 October 21 2012 Advance Consultation Period
2011 December 31 Physical condition and characteristics date
2012 January 03 2012 Property and Business Assessment Notices mailed
2012 January 03 – 2012 March 05 2012 Customer Review Period
Early 2012 February 2012 Business Tax Notices mailed
2012 March 05 Final date to file a complaint with the Assessment Review Board
2012 March 30 2012 Business Taxes due
2012 May 2012 Property Tax notices mailed
2012 June 29 2012 Property Taxes due